Wednesday, June 1, 2011

An Update Over Due

Can't believe it's almost been two months since my last post?!?!  What can I say, I'm a work in progress!!!  There's been so many times that I have sat down to update but most times I log on just to turn around and log back off because I'm not quite sure what to write.  It's not that I don't have a lot to say but I'm definitely one that likes to look towards the positive and to be honest... I'm just not feeling it.

Let's start from the beginning... I started Humira on April 14th. I do not want to go into the details (the main reason this post took so long) but let's just say those first 4 shots at the doctor's office were unnerving.  I thought that I was there for teaching and she would show me how for the first 6 shots (4 that day and 2, two weeks later) but after the first shot, it was all me. Ugh... I'm getting "butterflies" in my stomach just thinking about it again.  The injections hurt!!!  It's not just the shot but the medication itself hurts going into my body.  Not sure what I expected but it definitely wasn't that.  The nurse and I decided that maybe the hubby should do my injections for me going forward just so I wouldn't have to deal with psyching myself out and we could just get it over with.  Ever heard the saying, "paybacks are a..." well the hubby agrees 100% and has no problem giving me my shots.  The good part is though, is that he has just enough understanding for what I am going through with enough "no nonsense" to get business done.

We made it through the start up doses before we hit the first snag... I got a cold.  A cold has never been a big deal for me before but when you no longer have an immune system, everyone starts to get a little concerned. I got it right after my last start up dose and it had only gotten worse by the time it was time for my first maintenance dose (2 weeks later).  The Dr immediately said no to my next dose and that if it wasn't better in the next few days then they wanted to look at my white cell count. A few days later came and it was traveling into my chest. They sent me in to check for pneumonia and thank God, the x-rays came back negative.  It took another week before my Dr felt it was safe to try again.  An entire week later than I should have waited.  The big thing with Humira is that you need to keep a certain amount of it in your system at all times which is why you have to give yourself an injection every two weeks.  The Dr gives you 12 weeks to see if it's working well enough before they pull you off and I'd hate to go through all of this to have it not work because I can't take it like I'm supposed to.  Anyway, back on my doses again.  I don't really notice any difference but I can say that the 3 weeks that I was off of it, I was extremely tired again.  So even though I don't really feel it, it must be doing something :)

Other than that, I turned 30 on the 9th of May.  Age is definitely just a number to me but at the same time I really don't feel like I've been on this earth for 30 years.  How does it go by so fast?!?!  My hubby has now been apart of my life for half of it and we've been together 45% of it :)  How crazy is that!!!

Well I know there's more to catch up on but that's it for now, the time clock is calling my name :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Kristina. You are one tough cookie. I look up to you for positive and strong you are! Praying for some major healing and recovery for you.

    Hope this year is a blast for you! Looking forward to the adventures that lie ahead!

    xx, Cass